In WorkBoard there are two types of Teams that can be created. Although the terminology is the same (Teams), how they are created and managed is different.
Functional Teams - The core teams in your organization; what you would find in your organizational chart. Only WorkBoard Administrators can create Functional Teams. I.E. Sales, Marketing, Customer Success, Finance, etc. These Teams are viewable in the By Organization - Teams, Alignment View.
Working Groups - These Teams can be created by anyone and typically encompass cross-functional work, work done between one or more Functional Teams, or subsets of Functional Team Members. Working Groups do not appear in the Organization Alignment View however all Teams and their progress to achievement can be viewed in the Heatmap or by simply searching for the Teams OKRs in the Objective Alignment View.
Note: When you create a Team, you are the Manager (owner) of that Team.
This Article covers Creating Functional Teams. Please see Creating Working Group Teams to create cross-functional Teams. Only WorkBoard Administrators are able to follow the instructions below to create & manage Functional Teams.
Before proceeding, please read:
If your organization is using Provisioning from another source (Workday, ADFS, OneLogin, Okta, etc.) then the creation and subsequent updating, or deletion of Functional Teams should come from those systems (your source of truth). Please verify this with your core program team, another WorkBoard Administrator, your SSO & Provisioning Administrator and/or WorkBoard (if necessary) before proceeding.
Archiving Teams is NOT available via Provisioning, and as such can only be done manually.
Steps to Create a Functional Team
- Select the gear or your picture in the upper right-hand corner and choose Administrator Tools.
- Click on Org Structure
- Click on "+ Add New Team" and fill out the below fields:
- Optionally, double-click on a Functional Team and add a Sub-Team by typing in the name of the team and click the "+" next to it. You will automatically be made the Manager of the Team when you add a sub-team this way.
- The new Functional Team will appear in the hierarchy and will also be present in the Alignment View under By Organization > Teams.
Moving Functional Teams
In some cases you may need to move a sub-teams around when functional team structures or organizational charts change. Follow the steps below to move Functional Teams:
- From the Administrator panel click on Org Structure
- Double-click on a Functional Team
- Click on the Kebab and select Edit parent teams.
Archiving Teams as a WorkBoard Administrator
Notes on Archiving Functional Teams:
- Archiving a (parent) top Team will archive ALL (children) Sub-Teams unless you move them under another team prior.
- A dialog box appears when you attempt to archive a functional team with sub-teams to inform you of this.
- Only Administrators can unarchive Functional Teams.
To Archive a Functional Team follow these steps:
- From the Administrator Panel click on Org Structure
- Double-click on a Functional Team
- Click on the Kebab in the upper right-hand corner and choose Archive.
- If the team in question has sub teams you will receive a popup asking if you want to archive the team:
- Choose whether to Archive all teams below or assign a new parent team for the existing sub teams and select Archive.
To Archive a Working Group (as an Admin) Follow these steps:
- In the Administrator panel click on Working Groups
- Click on the Working Group (as if you were planning to view and update team members and see their roles).
- Select Archive.
- Users can access and unarchive Working Groups in the Teams sub-menu on the Teams page. You can even Favorite Archived Teams if you'd like.
- Only Administrators can unarchive functional Teams.
- Administrators can view and archive/unarchive all Working Groups and Functional Teams in WorkBoard.
Follow these steps to unarchive Working Groups or Functional Teams:
- From the Teams Directory or Working Groups page click on the drop down "Show Active"
- Choose "Show All"
- Click on the Kebab next to select Unarchive.
Note: When you unarchive a Team the OKRs and Workstreams do not unarchive but they're still accessible at any time by filtering on the OKRs or Workstreams pages or by using the Global Search.
Deleting Teams as a WorkBoard Administrator
Please Read before proceeding:
- Please be aware, that UNLESS there is NO DATA on the Team or the Team in question was created accidentally, we strongly recommend that you Archive, rather than deleting.
- All data (OKRs & Workstreams) associated with the Team and sub-teams will be deleted.
- You must manually move sub-teams you wish to keep.
- If you are undergoing Team transitions/mergers, we recommend you add users to their new team and then Archive their old team. See Archiving Teams above for more information.
- Alternatively you could move all of the OKRs and Workstreams on the Team and then delete it, but we recommend Archiving as the first solution.
Steps for deleting Functional Teams
- Click on Org Structure.
- Double-Click on the Functional Team.
- Click on the Kebab and select Delete.
Steps for deleting Working Group Teams
- Click on Working Groups.
- Click on a Working Group to open it.
- Click the Kebab and select Delete.
- Confirm Deletion to proceed.
Managing Team Member Permissions
As a WorkBoard Administrator you may have to add users to additional Teams or manually make another user the Manager of a Team when someone leaves the organization.
Notes on Team Managers:
- When a Manager of a Team is off-boarded in a timely fashion from your organization (in less than two weeks lets say), if that user owned OKRs on the Team and did not promote another user to Manager then the Team will be left without one, then those OKRs will stay assigned to the former deactivated Manager until a new user is assigned that permission.
- The Co-Managers cannot make themselves Managers (you cannot change your own role on the team), so the WorkBoard Administrator will have to manually promote a new user to Team Manager.
Steps for adjusting Team Member Permissions
- The below steps are the same for both Working Groups and Functional Teams.
- For Functional Teams navigate to Team Directory or Org Structure.
- Inside the Org Structure, you must double-click a team in order to see/manage permissions.
- For Working Group Teams, navigate to Working Groups and click on a Team.
- Click on the blue links under the Permission column to change user Permissions.
- Confirm the permission change by selecting "OK".
- The users permission will be successfully updated.