Custom Workstreams allow you to specify columns according to phases of a project, type of work, or both. Custom Workstreams give you the ability to add as much nuance to your Workstream without sacrificing ease-of-use or workflow. For example, set up automation on columns and create a specific flow based on your team or project needs.
Create Custom Workstreams
Note: Only Managers, Co-Managers, and Team Admins can create Team Workstreams.
- Click the Create button on the righthand side of the screen
- Click Workstream
- Select Workstream
- Enter Workstream Details:
- Name: Typically the project name, which should be explicit so your teammates understand the type of work being done.
- Description: Provide additional clarity on the types of work and the stakeholders involved.
- For Team: Select from the dropdown of available teams. If you aren't a Manager, Co-Manager, or Team Admin of any Team then you will only be able to add it as a Personal Workstream.
Add Columns and Adjust Colors & View
Next, customize your project by the phase or the type of work you need to accomplish. For our example, we'll use a classic project management template.
- Click into the first column header
- Type the header name
- Click the "+" to add additional columns that represent the phases of work intended for the Workstream
Project Management Flow
Four columns labeled Analysis/Planning, Design/Development, Implementation/Testing, and Evaluation/Reporting respectively from left to right
Four columns labeled Persona Work, Use Cases, CX Implementation, and Sales Enablement respectively from left to right
Customize a Workstream
Change the colors of your columns and the background on your Workstream to create a nice view.
- Click on the Kebab
- Select Workstream Settings
- Update the background and column colors.
- Background: You can choose to use a flat color from the list, your own custom color using a hex code, or a custom background. To search for a new image, click on "Search for more images +" and query Unsplash's catalog of free images
- Column Colors: To change the column colors click on the paint can next to the column. You can choose from a standard color use a custom hex code.
Manage Project Timelines
After you've customized your Workstream, it's important to manage your tasks. WorkBoard allows you to view Workstream deadlines through the Calendar view and see recent changes and updates to Action Items in Recent Activity.
The Calendar lets you view all of the Action Items on your Workstream that are due by date. This is a great way to see what's coming up for each week on your project.
Recent Activity displays all the recent activity updates on all Action Items for the entire Workstream. This is available for all team members, regardless of Team Permission.