WorkBoard makes it easy for the largest of organizations to manage and maintain WorkBoard individual User reporting structure as well as Team hierarchies.
How WorkBoard Manages Reporting Structures
Individual reporting structure
This is where WorkBoard keeps track of what individuals report to other individuals.
For example, Bill reports to Susan, who reports to Tom who reports to the CEO. This helps facilitate certain reporting features and 1on1 meetings in the WorkBoard application.
Note: WorkBoard also supports dotted-line reporting, however, this needs to be manually updated by the WorkBoard Admin and is currently not a supported provisioning attribute.
Team Hierarchies and Membership
WorkBoard has two types of teams - Functional Teams and Working Groups. These teams are identical in terms of capabilities, except that what defines a Functional Teams have a parent.
For example, if I am part of the Marketing Analytics team, which rolls up to the Marketing Team, which in turn rolls up to the CFO and ultimately to the CEO. In Workday, this is the equivalent of a Supervisory Org.
The WorkBoard + Workday integration helps manage both of these relationships easily so that Workday can be the source of truth and the leadership and teams never have to be in doubt as to whether the structures are up to date.
How it works
WorkBoard hosts the integration. This means that customers do not need to request infrastructure resources or developer resources to deploy.
- The integration connects to Workday to query for the list of users and teams daily.
- It then updates the users and teams so that WorkBoard structure mirrors that of Workday.
Setting up the Integration with WorkBoard
Configuration currently consists of one or two short working sessions to handle such things as authentication and brief testing to make sure everything looks right.
In most cases, we will set up a sandbox environment in order to minimize the potential for disrupting current users.
High level architecture
The following diagram illustrates the high-level architecture for how the integration functions. Workday's SOAP-based API's provide results and leverage 'pagination' in order to optimize query efficiency.
There are three distinct processes at work:
- Data Fetch Service gets the data from Workday.
- User Processing Service Processes the data and updates the individual reporting structures.
- Organization Processing Service Processes the data and updates the team hierarchies and team memberships.
- I am concerned about how the integration would impact my Workday infrastructure. Can I control how often the integration runs?
- Yes. We recommend daily updates, since we only pull the delta of the changes and not the full org each time, in order to minimize the impact on your Workday server capacity.
- Are you Workday certified?
- Yes, WorkBoard has earned our Badge of approval. This integration was build in partnership and close collaboration with Workday.
- Can I disable this integration in the future, and what happens then?
- Yes, you can disable the integration any time you wish. Users and teams would remain as they are at the time of deactivation. Activate the integration any time in the future you're ready to automate user management again.
- I have a large organization, but the entire organization is not yet on WorkBoard. Can I provision a portion of my Workday users?
- Yes. We are able to filter based on the parameters the Workday API offers. Please contact your Integrations Lead for focused conversation on your requirements.
- I have more than one Workday tenant. Can you support multiple environments?
- Yes we can.