The Microsoft Planner data connector for WorkBoard enables you to select projects and pull progress based on project completion. Key Result in WorkBoard will be updated on the next data pull specified by the update cadence, or can be updated manually.
Configuring a Data Connector
Prior to setting up a new Key Result data connector, your organization’s IT Administrator may need to approve the connector if there is an approval configuration. Once enabled, any user can have their Key Results measure progress from that specific connector.
Create a new Key Result by selecting the kebab menu (3 dots) next to the applicable Objective.
- If the Objective hasn't been created, simply select Create > Team Objective or Personal Objective, then enter your Key Result name.
- Select Edit Settings from the dropdown.
- Click Add another key result and enter your Key Result name.
- Select Advanced options, then Pull data from external applications.
- Choose the applicable data source from one of the options:
Log in to the application by inputting your credentials.
- Please note that for some applications, you will also need to create an API key or provide OAuth2 information. This information is Read Only.
- Once enabled, your Key Results will automatically update based on the update cadence specified in the Key Result's configuration.
- If you need to manually sync an update, use the Sync Integration Data option from the kebab menu (three dots) in the upper right-hand corner of the Key Result details page.
Setting up a Key Result from Microsoft Planner
You'll first need to enable the Microsoft Planner integration with the following steps:
- Select your Avatar in the upper right-hand corner
- Click Settings from the dropdown.
- On the left-side toolbar, select Integrations
- Click Enable next to the Microsoft Planner data connector
- Once enabled, follow steps 1-2 above in the 'Configuring a Data Connector section and select MS Planner from the list of integrations.
- Select the plan that you want to measure.
Enter the remaining Key Result details, then select an Update Cadence to determine how often WorkBoard will sync to pull the latest value for your Key Result.
Note: Update cadence has the same options you would find for Key Results updated by a person (i.e., Daily, Weekly, Monthly, and Quarterly).
- When finished, select Save to lock in the settings for your Key Result, then Done to apply these changes to your Objective.
Synchronize Data from MS Planner
WorkBoard will effortlessly sync Key Result updates directly from the data connector based on the specified update cadence. You can manually sync Key Result updates, if needed, in two ways:
Force a Sync on a Single Key Result:
- Select Key Result to navigate to the Key Results Details page.
- Click the kebab menu (3 dots) in the upper right-hand corner of the page.
- Select Sync Integration Data.
Force a Sync for all Key Result Integrations:
- From the My Objectives Page, select the kebab menu in the upper right-hand corner.
- Select Sync Integration Data.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the integration access scope for MS Planner?
MS Planner has the following access: Group.Read.All, Group.ReadWrite.All, Offline_access, Openid, Profile, Tasks.Read, Tasks.Read.Shared, Tasks.ReadWrite, Tasks.ReadWrite.Shared, User.Read
What are the scopes of access that WorkBoard receives when I integrate a Key Result connector?
The scope of access is Read Only, which is bounded by the user integrating with the service.
Will the Key Result connector pull in historic updates?
No, the connector does not have the automated ability to post historic updates to Key Results. The update always goes to the present interval due for the Key Result.
Please note that KPI integrations will only deliver updates that are currently due, meaning data pulled in Month X will have the timestamp 'Month X'.
- As a workaround, multi-target KRs can divide a Key Result into distinct named intervals such as 'August', 'September', 'October', etc. The 'July' interval, for instance, would encompass the start/end dates for data collection (August 1st - August 31st). Despite being named 'July', the data collection would actually occur within the timeframe of August.
When will the connector update my Key Result?
The integration will update based on the update frequency set up for the Key Result (e.g. weekly updates weekly, daily updates daily, etc.). The integration scheduler operates on a twice-daily basis, offering two opportunities for updates to ensure data accuracy. To optimize efficiency, the scheduler skips updates for Key Results (KRs) that are not due for updates, to prevent redundant data updates and maintaining a streamlined process.