When you create a key result in an Objective, you’re creating a result from a person, by default. This means that the data will come from a single person.
For example, Sales Revenue (from Jorge), Number of developers hired (from Alice) or Completion of the IT infrastructure overhaul (from Percy).
Note: Key results that are updated by a single user can still have associated Business Owners.
Create a Key Result
- Navigate to the intended Objective
- Click the Kebab
- Select Edit Settings
- If you haven't added a Key Result to your Objective yet, you’ll see a blank space to add your first key result. If you've added a key result, then select Add another key result
- After you add your Key Result hit the Enter key on your keyboard
- Click on the user's name to change who’s responsible for updating the key result
- Choose whether to:
Count as a Number, Currency or Percentage
Who should Update this Key Result
What Cadence the Key Result should be updated
- Select More Options to view additional options
Note: If you have KR Ownership enabled, you can choose who is the Business Result owner in addition to who is responsible for updating it.
- Choose if the Result Value should:
Should increase to
Should decrease to
Should be equal to
Should fall within a range
Should not exceed
Should not fall below
- Choose to Calculate overall progress as:
Last Entered Value [entered by yourself or the individual assigned on the cadence you selected]
Total of all entered values
Average of all entered values
- Select Save.
Note: Choosing how to Calculate your overall progress affects how the Key Result progress is charted on the Key Result detail page (accessed by clicking on the KR to open it up).
How Calculating Progress Affects your Chart
By default, your key result will calculate progress based on your last entered value, and the key result graph will show a trendline to track that progress over time.
- If you want to total all your updates to calculate and display how far along you are, select Total of all entered values.
- For example, if your key result is Migrate 20 apps to the cloud, you can record 3 migrations in the first week, and 2 in the next week, the total progress will be 5.
- Select Average of all entered values when you want progress to be calculated as the average of your updates (including your starting value).
- For example, if your key result is Average response time to customers, you can measure weekly, and see the average for the quarter.